Diplomatic relations between the Kyrgyz Republic and the Republic of Azerbaijan were established on January 19, 1993.
The key document of the bilateral legal framework is the Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation, signed in Baku on April 23, 1997.
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Kyrgyz Republic to the Republic of Azerbaijan is Kairat Osmonaliev.
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the Kyrgyz Republic is Latif Gandilov.
The official establishment of the Kyrgyz Republic Embassy in Baku took place on October 24, 2014.
The official opening of the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in Bishkek took place on December 28, 2007.
During the years of cooperation 9 high-level visits took place between the parties:
1. Working visit of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic G. Aliyev to participate in the celebrations dedicated to the 1000th anniversary of the “Manas” epic (1995);
2. Official visit of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic A. Akaev (April 23, 1997);
3. Participation of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic A. Akaev in the International Conference dedicated to the problems of restoring the Historical Silk Road (September 7-8, 1998, Baku);
4. Participation of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic A. Akaev in the Summit of the Heads of Turkic-speaking States and events dedicated to the 1300th anniversary of the "Dada Gorgud" epic (April 8-9, 2000, Baku);
5. Official visit of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic A. Atambaev (March 29-31, 2012);
6. Participation of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic A.Atambayev in the CCTS Summit (August 15-16, 2013);
7. Participation of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic I. Aliyev in the meeting of CIS CHS (September 16, 2016);
8. Participation of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic I. Aliyev in the CCTS Summit (September 3, 2018);
9. Participation of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic S. Jeenbekov in the CCTS Summit (October 14-15, 2019).
In 2021, bilateral relations between Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan entered the trajectory of sustainable development, dynamics and level of bilateral contacts have increased. This was facilitated by the official visit of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic R. Kazakbayev to Azerbaijan (July) and the appointment of a new Ambassador of the Kyrgyz Republic to the Republic of Azerbaijan K. Osmonaliev (June) after 4-year break.
The central event was a bilateral meeting between the President of Kyrgyzstan S. Japarov and the President of Azerbaijan I. Aliyev during the 8th CCTS Summit (Istanbul, November 12), during which I. Aliyev issued an invitation to Kyrgyz leader to visit Azerbaijan in 2022.
On December 24, 2021, a telephone conversation took place between the heads of state.
In the framework of multilateral cooperation with the Azerbaijani side following agreements were reached on support for:
• candidates of the Kyrgyz Republic for the position of Secretary General of Turksoy;
• candidates of the Kyrgyz Republic for election to the UNHRC for 2023-2025;
• election of the Kyrgyz Republic to the post of Chairman of the Executive Council of the International Civil Defense Organization;
• resolutions of the Kyrgyz Republic “Monitoring strengthening and mountain glaciers research” during the 41st session of the General Conference of UNESCO;
• co-sponsorship of the UN General Assembly resolution “Nature knows no boundaries: trans boundary cooperation is a key factor in the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of biodiversity”;
• co-sponsorship of the UNGA resolution “On declaring 2022 the International Year of Sustainable Mountain Development”.