Cooperation between the Kyrgyz Republic
and the World Trade Organization
On January 18, 1996, the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic submitted an application to the General Directorate of the World Trade Organization on the intention to join the WTO. After complying with all the procedures required for accession, on November 17, 1998, the Protocol of Accession to the Marrakesh Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organization was approved. This Protocol entered into force on December 20, 1998, and Kyrgyzstan became 133 WTO member.
For more than a 20-year period of cooperation with the WTO, the Kyrgyz Republic has been conducting targeted, systematic work to develop interaction with both the Organization and its all member states. Today, Kyrgyzstan is represented in the WTO at the level of the Permanent Mission to the UN Office and other international organizations in Geneva and the Office of the Ministry of Economy at the WTO in Geneva. Delegations of the Kyrgyz Republic take an active part in the activities of the Organization, including at the level of the Minister of Economy and his deputies. Representatives of state authorities of the country regularly undergo training at seminars and WTO courses due to sponsorship from member states.
Currently, the following work is being carried out within the framework of the WTO:
1. Regular advocacy of Kyrgyzstan's national interests through means and opportunities provided by WTO and its bodies. As a member state of the WTO, the Kyrgyz Republic can always raise its own initiatives, as well as questions about non-compliance of measures by some WTO members that do not meet the interests of the Kyrgyz Republic.
2. Defending the positions of the Kyrgyz Republic on the matter of providing possible compensations to WTO member states in connection with its joining to the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU). Active negotiations with a number of countries on this topic are currently underway.
3. Preparation for the Trade Policy Review of the Kyrgyz Republic in 2020. Given that this is one of the main obligations of the Kyrgyz Republic to the WTO, detailed and high-quality work is being done in this direction.
4. Negotiating possible accession of the Kyrgyz Republic to the WTO Agreement on Public Procurement. The ongoing and carefully analyzed work in this area is being carried out.
5. Taking into account the membership of the Kyrgyz Republic in the EAEU, the resolution of issues that meet the national interests of the country through joint work with representatives of the EAEU member states in WTO.
6. Election of representatives of the Kyrgyz Republic to the main bodies and committees of the WTO. Currently, a representative of the country is chairing the Committee on Specific Services.
7. Organization of regional conferences and seminars in the Kyrgyz Republic jointly with the WTO Secretariat with drawing international expert circles. National seminars are held on a regular basis for government officials of Kyrgyzstan to increase their capacity. During recent years, such training has been conducted on tariffs and services. In autumn 2019, another seminar on agriculture is expected.
8. Ensuring the participation of representatives of the Kyrgyz Republic in trainings, seminars and courses organized by the WTO Secretariat (through sponsorship). On an ongoing basis, government officials are trained on topical issues under the WTO agreements.
Mutually beneficial cooperation with the World Trade Organization with the consideration of the national interests of the Kyrgyz Republic will remain among the country's top priorities over the coming years.